Advertisement

The Afro Poetry Times keeps the African poetry and literary arts conversation alive. Our WhatsApp number is +27780254850

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Young woman from Nkomazi expresses herself through poetry and she is coining it at weddings and functions

Most people in Nkomazi may know her as Poetess Landa, sharing poetry on her social media pages and performing at churches and weddings around her village, Magogeni.

She has drawn inspiration for her poems from other people’s circumstances since she was 14 years old and lost her mother.

“I used poetry as a coping mechanism after the passing of my mother. Poetry is deeper than what people think. When one writes a poem, it is usually because of what they think and how they feel,” she said.

“The passion and talent increased as I grew. I have become a person who studies and analyses people’s situations. I can construct a poem from whatever story I am told. My surroundings inspire me and give me the ability to come up with unique poems,” she continued.
The 20-year-old said that most people refer to her as “Libhubesikati” which means “The Lioness” because she uses the SiSwati language to expresses herself.

Her love for poetry has allowed her to earn an honest living. “I get booked to perform at events such as weddings and people also request personalised poems. I also do video or voice recordings at a price. I am proud that my talent can make me money,” Shabangu said.

She said that she would like to be recognised alongside well-known poets in Mpumalanga and wants to teach people that poetry can heal.

“I wish to publish my poetry book in the near future so that people from far can enjoy my poems and be inspired,” she said.