Advertisement

The Afro Poetry Times keeps the African poetry and literary arts conversation alive. Our WhatsApp number is +27780254850

Friday, March 22, 2024

Talented student pens hearty poetry journal

Talented Redwood College grade 7 pupil Lutho Nongogo Mtila used spontaneous moments of expression when she wrote her published poetry journal, Colours of the Rainbow.

It highlights the importance of diversity, coexistence and respect for one another.
Lutho follows in the footsteps of her father, Philani Nongogo.
He is the principal author of the book Umbhoxo: Making Rugby an Afrikan Game, which was launched in the metro in January.
Lutho said her work emphasises the importance of people coexisting despite having different backgrounds.
Her work can be found in Imbiza Journal for African Writing: Nourishing the Mind Volume 1, Issue 4.
"What led to my writing was that I was struggling with issues of racial abuse and people close to me were downplaying my experience.
"I was able to express my frustration and hurt, and get comfort through poetry.
"It is a way that helps me communicate my deep emotions."
She said she used spontaneous moments to take a few minutes to write down her emotions and ideas.
"Writing is my way of life and form of expression.
"My father always encourages us [she and her siblings] to read and write what we want and like.
"It could be for fun and for expressing ourselves together."
Lutho said she was always encouraged by her father to make reading part of her routine.
Her poetry is targeted at both young and old.
"It is targeted at everyone, I believe, but more so my peers and teachers."
She said she wrote poetry on the go and whenever she was inspired.
She uses it to pour out her heart — and she uses a pen and paper, rather than a phone or computer, to do so.
Lutho is working closely with Kwazithina publishers, which is run by Nomawele Njongo, where she shares her most recent ideas and work.
Teacher Marita Venter said Lutho was an exceptional pupil who was friendly and wellmannered.
"Last year she was one of the pupils who did really well.
"She excelled in her tests and she really worked hard.
"She has mastered the English language, especially her grammar.
"Even during orals she reads well."